Sunday, April 26, 2009

SC Model of Teaching

The model that sounds so interesting to me in the Montessori model.  I enjoyed learning about it and hearing about how it works. 

I found it very interesting that this method is primarily focused around letting the child dictate how they will spend a majority of their time at school.  All necessary materials are readily accessible to students which I think helps students become more independent learners and take responsibility for their own learning at an early age, which I think is an important skill to develop.

This method is also somewhat easier on the teachers because most of the materials are self correcting, so the student does not necessarily need the teacher when they have a problem.  Each environment is carefully prepared and thought out so that the activity is thought provoking and engaging for the students. Students also start out with important life lessons such as how to button a jacket or zipping a zipper.  It is surprising how many children do not know how to do these simple tasks.

The only downside that I have found with the Montessori method is that a majority of time is spent doing individual activities rather than small group work.  I feel that especially for young children small group work is very important.  Other than that I thought the Montessori method of education was very interesting and I would love to be able to learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment